It’s the new year, and you’re ready to try a new, healthy dinner recipe. Delight the fam with a veggie-forward meal using yummy Parmesan Roasted Garlic Harvest Snaps and easy-to-find acorn squash!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 acorn squash
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅔ cup pecans (optional)
- ⅔ cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated*
- ½ tsp. dried basil
- 1 lb. ground turkey, ground beef or sausage
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup apple with skins, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds (optional)
- ¾ tsp. ground sage
- ¾ tsp. salt to taste
- 1 egg
How to make it happen:
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice each acorn squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
- Rub the cut side of the squash with olive oil and place on a baking sheet cut side down. Roast for about 35 minutes, or until tender. Finished squashes will have a softened exterior with a tender interior.
While the squash is roasting:
- Combine all topping ingredients in a food processor and pulse until mixture is crumbly.
- Sauté ground meat in a saucepan with 1 tablespoon olive oil for 6-8 minutes, or until meat is cooked.
- Remove cooked meat and place in a large bowl. In the same saucepan, add 1 tablespoon oil, onion, apple and garlic. Sauté for 5-6 minutes.
- Combine ground meat, apple/onion mixture, ⅔ of the breadcrumb topping mixture, and remaining filling ingredients in a large bowl.
After the filling is made:
- Allow squash to cool slightly until easily handled and use a fork to make room for filling. Fill each acorn squash half with ¼ of the mixture.
- Top each squash boat with sauce and top with remaining breadcrumb mixture, and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for around 12 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Remove from oven and top with crunched Roasted Garlic Parmesan Harvest Snaps for a crunchy finish that your kids will love!